Paint colour for my 1973 VW Type 3 1600A Variant

For the english speaking friends of our aircooled forum

Moderatoren: Jörg, Ansprechpartner des Vereins

Antworten
Wireless

Paint colour for my 1973 VW Type 3 1600A Variant

Beitrag von Wireless »

Hi All,

I'm a member of the Type 3 & 4 Club in the UK, and I own a white Type 3 1600A Variant and also a green Type 4 412LS Variant.

I am having problems understanding the paint code for my Type 3, as I'd like to restore it to its original VW colour. The Type 3 & 4 Club Editor has suggested I make contact with http://www.typ3.de to discover the real answer.

However, if you are registered with the club in the UK the discussion is here

http://www.vwtype3and4club.org.uk/forum ... f=1&t=8481

Here are some pictures of the VW AutoMuseum Birth Certificate, the car, vehicle plates on the car, and an indication of the underlying original paint.

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Can anyone identify the paint colour number 69 that has been used by VW as the original paint, which appears to be a blue-green type turquoise colour that lies underneath?

In anticipation of your consideration at your earliest convenience, thank you.

Wenn Sie mir helfen können, die ursprüngliche Farbe zu identifizieren, wäre es brachte mich aus meinem Elend, ha.
Zuletzt geändert von Wireless am Samstag 3. August 2013, 23:18, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Wireless

Re: Paint colour for my 1973 VW Type 3 1600A Variant

Beitrag von Wireless »

The history I know of the car is as follows

2005 - 2013 I've owned it.

1998? - 2005 Owned in Scotland, between Glasgow and Edinburgh

1992 - 1998? Having been driven from Greece to Scotland, used as a display car in a VW Dealership in Scotland - unconfirmed

1992 - Car was First Registered in the United Kingdom 24/08/1992

1977? - 1992 was exported to Greece for 15 years - unconfirmed

1973 - 1977? unknown but first owner was in the GDR in East Germany, who used a right-hand drive car, with headlights and speedometer for the UK market, in a special colour.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.
Mario / T3HQ
Volkswagenkenner

Beitrag von Mario / T3HQ »

Hi,
it could be Atlaswhite L90d or Pastellwhite L91Z.

What color is the interiour material? Cloth or vinyl? Is it black, blue red or beige/tan?

Cheers,
Mario / T3HQ
Egal ob es Räder oder Titten hat, es kostet Geld...!
Wireless

Beitrag von Wireless »

The interior is black, but I do not want the white colour, I'm looking to discover the original blue-green colour from the factory, as that is the colour I wish to restore the car, thank you.

In addition, I was going to use deerskin for the interior (I am a deer stalker)
Mario / T3HQ
Volkswagenkenner

Beitrag von Mario / T3HQ »

Oh... then it could be delftblue L55Z...

Mario / T3HQ
Egal ob es Räder oder Titten hat, es kostet Geld...!
Peter Pawera
Boxer-Luder

Beitrag von Peter Pawera »

:D Hi!
Your car have a very interesting history. I can also not understand, why needs a car, who drives in the german democratic republic, a right hand drive car. is this a special car of a spy, who lives in Great Britain? A very specially history of your car.
Perhaps your car do not have any paint, only was painted with an ground-painting and the first owner of this car paint him in his own painting. This can be the solution of the question! Have any one in this forum other ideas?

With very special greetings
Peter Pawera
kleinteile
Ansprechpartner Region Norddeutschland

Beitrag von kleinteile »

blue-green type turquoise :

Body L95B türkismetallic
Polsterkombination (Stoff) 12 schwarz
Polsterkombination (Stoff) 14 lederbeige
Polsterkombination (Stoff) 27 silbergrau
Polsterkombination (KL) 50 schwarz
Polsterkombination (KL) 55 lederbeige
Polsterkombination (KL) 63 silbergrau 73

Does this light up your problem ?
Greetings
Jürgen
1600 L '69 rotweiß
1500 S Karmann Ghia '65 blauweiß O o \ / o O
1600 L Automatik'68 grün
1600 L Variant '66
TVR 3000M Taimar `79
BMW 318i `86
Porsche 924 S 3/87
Suleica F 430 von`67
Yamaha 500 SR `78
Puch M 50 Racing`74
Westfalia 800kg `80
Opel Astra CaraVan 1.6 EZ 11/95
Wireless

Beitrag von Wireless »

So many suggestions! Thank you everyone.

The Paint Code is 69, does that tally with any of the colours mentioned?

I'm looking at the paint codes for the 1600A;

Mario, I cannot find a VW paint code for delftblue

Peter, the Editor of the Type 3 & 4 Club in the UK describes the car as an enigma, since it has such an odd history, I felt that it was unlikely that an ordinary East German would have bought such a car in that specification for use in the GDR, so can only assume that it was bought by the GDR Government for some reason I cannot fathom. I understand the German Postal Service used to purchase right-hand drive vehicles, but it does not explain the mph Speedometer and Headlamps for left hand traffic.

If it was an East German Border Police Vehicle I am unaware of any country bordering East Germany at that time in history that drove on the left-hand side of the road, but the underlying paint might indicate that a particular service, Postal, Police, or otherwise might have instructed VW to paint the car in service colour. Sitting here in England I've no idea of these details and cannot investigate.

I think a Spy is an interesting suggestion, except that the car was only first registered in the UK in 1992, and the story I have, that it spent 15 years in Greece before being driven to Scotland, would seem to make this more unlikely (again why RHD, mph Speedometer, and headlamps for left hand traffic in Greece?).

Jürgen, turkismetallic would appear to be paint code 82, and the other colours you mention already have a paint code, so why did they not use them, and why did they record paint code 69.

This has been extremely confusing, and I was hoping as this Forum has members that are somewhat closer to the problem, that someone might know the answer.

Hopefully one of you may have further ideas on this car, and for that I thank you all.

Wayne

PS I picked up the 412 LS Variant today, its now sat on my drive, but I've again spent 50 Euros to Generate a VW Birth Certificate this evening, since the seller tells me that the ID number of the car indicates it is built in October 1973, yet was first registered as a new car in the UK on 6th September 1974. As our Government has decided that cars manufactured before 1st January 1974 are exempt from Road Fund Licence (Tax) as Historic Vehicles, a Law enacted from 1st April 2014, its important I officially declare the manufacturing date to keep my money in my pocket. :D
Frl. Rohrmoser
Pressereferent (Ansprechpartner Region Nordwestdeutschland)

Beitrag von Frl. Rohrmoser »

Wireless hat geschrieben: If it was an East German Border Police Vehicle I am unaware of any country bordering East Germany at that time in history that drove on the left-hand side of the road
What do you think about Berlin? At that time Berlin was divided into four sectors. Berlin was completely divided. Although it was possible for Westerners to pass from one to the other (but only through strictly controlled checkpoints), for most Easterners travel to West Berlin or West Germany was not possible. I think, a spy or the "Stasi http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staatssicherheit " could be used the car to simulate a british citizen or army-member in the british sector. It was not unusual at that time, that british army members bringing their own car to Berlin.
Greetings,
Carsten
kleinteile

Beitrag von kleinteile »

At that time ( anytime) normal people in east germany weren`t able to order cars in west germany or elsewhere in west european countries . If they were lucky they were able to order an east german car within the next 10 years ....
A spy always tries to get NO attention . The best way to make the heads fly is an unusual car within the normal trafic .
But it is possible that this car was bought by an embasy or a member of an embasy who want to take the car home to England or another country with the steering wheel "at the wrong side " and miles in the gauge . Like Cyprus . They speek greek language , drive at the left side and only one year after delivery of your car there was a nation-splitting at the island . Maybe your car runs on cyprus ?? Do you know more about the greek time ?? Any stamps or names or something else ?Maybe they planed to go to cyprus but because of the splitting / military problems the owner has to go to the greece homeland to work there ?
Maybe the embasy-member has known that he has to go home to England or to work in the future in Cyprus ?
Maybe also there was a chance to take home his car like many US-soldiers did thia with their cars from Germany to USA ?
The turquise colour was also used for a special edition model within the last year . But this normaly was a "L"-model with special trim lines and special upholstery in special colours .

Jürgen
1600 L '69 rotweiß
1600 L Automatik'68 grün
1600 L Variant '66
TVR 3000M Taimar `79
BMW 318i `86
Porsche 924 S 3/87
Suleica F 430 von`67
Yamaha 500 SR `78
Puch M 50 Racing`74
Westfalia 800kg `80
budbud71
Luftschlosser

Beitrag von budbud71 »

Hi Wayne,

I'm living near to Wolfsburg and have an old neighbor who worked at the research and development department of Volkswagen for his whole life as far as I know. He's between 80 and 90 and already told me some internal stories and knows alot of the Type 3 history.

I will ask him about your car, so perhaps he has an answer why your car is a RHD which was sold to the GDR.

Really strange story :roll:

Cheers
Heiko
VW 1500 S Variant, Baujahr 6/1965
Wireless

Beitrag von Wireless »

First, poor pictures, but I now have a Type 4, I'm afraid all I need now is a Type 1 and Type 2, ha

Bild

Bild
Wireless

Beitrag von Wireless »

Thanks again for the feedback and information, hopefully I will get to the bottom of this mystery.

Carsten, the spy angle seems an odd one, I just think they would have ordered a standard colour, but who knows the ideas that people had back then.

Jürgen, I didn't think about the economics of the order either, as you say it is much more likely the vehicle was either owned by the GDR through one of the services, or possibly an embassy official moving abroad, although I think both areas of Cyprus, Greek and Turkish, drive on the right. I understand that even in the British Sovereign Base maintained to keep the warring parties separated, they drive on the right.

Unfortunately the documented history I have includes two previous Scottish owners of the vehicle between 2001 and 2005, I don't have anything before 2001, however, I will try to get an earlier history from the first of these owners, who seems to have acquired the vehicle in 2001.

Heiko, I would be very pleased to find out if your old friend can answer the puzzle of this car, because as you say it is really strange.

If I manage to get any further information I will of course post the results here, thank you everyone.

Best regards,

Wayne
kleinteile

Beitrag von kleinteile »

On Cyprus they drive on the left side !

Europa :
Vereinigtes Königreich
Irland
Isle of Man
Guernsey (Rechtsverkehr während der deutschen Besatzung 1941–1945)
Jersey (Rechtsverkehr während der deutschen Besatzung 1941–1945)
Malta
Zypern (auch in Nordzypern)
1600 L '69 rotweiß
1600 L Automatik'68 grün
1600 L Variant '66
TVR 3000M Taimar `79
BMW 318i `86
Porsche 924 S 3/87
Suleica F 430 von`67
Yamaha 500 SR `78
Puch M 50 Racing`74
Westfalia 800kg `80
Wireless

Beitrag von Wireless »

I always assumed they drove on the right! I stand corrected.

Maybe it did go to Cyprus after all?
Antworten